Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day 6 - I cannot help myself.

I gotta stop posting twice in a day - this is how you can tell I have no life. I hope I'm not this bad when I have kids.
So I went and posted my litter on a couple resources - stockdogs4sale (it's a mailing list for people interested) and WorkingAussieSource. I also printed up a poster for putting up at the local feed store. I was *really* scared no one would want my puppies, but now I am pretty comfortable that they'll all have awesome homes. For one, they are ADORABLE, for two, they have a nice pedigree, and for three, dude, they're puppies.

But now I am at a new crossroads. I was so worried about puppy homes that I didn't really think about it . . . but how do you decide who gets what and who you pass on? So far all the reserved puppies are going to "dog people." I said I wanted actual ranch homes, and honestly, local is best, I think. I really want to see what these dogs turn into. I don't intend to be a major breeder, but I want to do something right, you know? Not just a one-off.


Advertising where I did online is probably going to net me more dog people homes. They'll get trial exposure, lots of mileage on stock, and the homes are well suited to the temperament I think I'm producing. But like, a couple of these pups I think may end up fulfilling another goal of mine - breed champions out of working dogs. I wonder how I can motivate homes to try doing that? I would love to be a breeder judge one day . . . and I tell you what, Moto, my big red merle male? He has bone, coat, and size . . . we'll see about his structure, but so far all my puppies have nice puppy-heads and they are strong as heck. Nice straight tail sets . . .

The contract I have drawn up is super micro-managy. I originally wanted to find "foster homes" where people would keep the dog intact and I could come back and breed to it without owning a pile of dogs. And while I am not someone who that arrangement would be a problem with (I'm easy going about nearly everything), I'm also of the belief that you should pretty much be able to do what you want with your dog. I need to work on it. Maybe I'll adjust prices or offer cash refunds if people achieve something I'd like to see with the dog.

On the actual puppy front, they are indeed getting big now! I'm watching their tails to make sure they're healing okay . . . and my favorite time of the day is the stimulation exercises. It's fun to see who freaks on what day and how much. Consistenly Firma and Optimus Prime take it all in stride. Firma's likely already got a home, and that leaves me to favor two pups right now, Optimus Prime and Dactyl. Again, this is really Yishai's puppy, so he can do what he wants, but Optimus just seems to call to me with her mellow red bi ness. She's always around, doing something cute . . .

But in all seriousness, I love them all. I still cannot believe the quality of this litter. Everyone looks so consistent in type and color and plain ol' prettiness. I mean, I did pick a pretty tight line breeding because I was hoping for that, but I am still utterly stoked on what a pretty litter I've got. I can see how it will be hard to part with them, but as I spend New Year's weekend totally alone (no roommates, no friends in town for the most part), I spend it with EIGHT dogs in the house (Fury + litter+ plus my roommate's dog, Rex) and that is just gross. Nope, I'm good; don't need a puppy collection.

Off to shop for toys and maybe some puppy agility equipment (tunnels and baby teeters, anyone)?


No comments:

Post a Comment