Sunday, December 27, 2009

Day 2 - Photos and Names


Well, I got through the night just fine. Fury is very careful about being kind to little things so I had a feeling puppy navigation would be no problem and I was right. Everyone slept through the night very happily. Fury was in there sleeping with puppies in the morning.

She has never been so eager to pee right away. "Potty?" She gets up and jogs to the door. I let her out - she pops a squat and streaks back in the house, where she actually counts all the puppies before settling down. When I got my car keys to go out, she was willing to forsake her babies, but I didn't let her (for obvious reasons) and I know she'd regret it as soon as she got out the door.

Thank God for Nancy who supplied me with goat milk. I was a little worried Fury's milk production wouldn't be high enough given she hadn't eaten in two days and had six puppies. Dog food + milk mixed with agave syrup seems to have her right as rain. Nobody seems hungry.

So, at the behest of many who want dry puppy photos, I sent Fury into her crate in my room and started at it. Oh. My. God. "I WANT MY PUPPIES! NOOOOO!" She started tearing up her crate trying to get out in panic. I took photos as fast as I could and freed her - she streaked back to her puppies, counting, and wondering whether she should trust me or not with her pups. Eventually she settled down.

I cannot wait for tomorrow - when I will hack off their beautiful little tails. I can only imagine her shrieking. I am going to send her on a walk with Yishai while I do it.


sSo, on to the business of individual puppy photos with name debut. First, it should be noted that I think litter themes may be fun, but I am above that. I really am. So, on the drive home from picking up Fury from Wisconsin, Yishai suggested names that went well with the kennel name (but remember, when you read them, spell them outloud). So that's what we decided to go with, for better or worse. Except one. But hey, they're litter names. They aren't permanent.

So, in order of birth we have:


Optimus Prime - Red Bi Female

Wait, what? You named a female dog Optimus Prime? And isn't the theme to go with Tara? Yeah . . . well, upon birth, her name was "Yarmulke" for the losenge (color island) on the head. Yarmulke (pronounced 'yawm-ulka') is pretty cute, I think, but Yishai was taken with Optimus Prime for some reason. She was the first puppy born, so I guess that works. But really, I like the sheer weirdness of this one. And of my two favorite puppies so far, she's tops, so have a stupid name. See if I care.

Tara Reid - Red bi (possibly tri?) male

Reid is a dude's name, even if he's named for a really dumb actress. Once again, I really had no control over this one. He's a little lighter red than his sister Optimus, but still nice, dontcha think? Reid was the last puppy born.



Tara Moto - Red merle male

Moto is actually pretty well named. He is first of all, flipping HUGE. He is the earthquake of all puppies in the litter, and he also likes to move around and get lost in the box. Under Fury's arm, spooned against her back, wherever. He seems pretty content with that plan. He also has the most awesome brown tail - but I guess that doesn't matter as of tomorrow.


Tara Firma - Red merle (and copper?) female

Firma's a little earthier color than her powder merle siblings. She seems to have a really nice personality. Sticks out a bit for some reason.


Tara Fie - Red Merle female

Fie is her name because, well . . . that's what she got. I think she looks the most like Fury.


Tara Dactyl - Red merle female

So, the rationale on this one is that she has a lot of white on her head so she looks like a bald eagle, and birds are supposedly descended from dinosaurs. You see how that works? Daca's probably my favorite merle at this point. She, too, is marked a lot like Fury, but has even more white.

So there you go, the Ben + Fury litter names.


3 comments:

  1. Names are hilarious. I hope they all live up to them, especially Tara Fie and Tara Dactyl. Hmm, there was no way you could work in Velociraptor? How about Velocirap Tara? Okay, save it for the next litter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin - you don't know me but I have a Skip daughter from the Ivy litter. I've started following along on your adventure and I just have to say I LOVE the names. Too funny! Tera Dactyl is my favorite! Next time you should have a Tara Misu and Tara Pin!

    ReplyDelete