Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day 6 - Fury's ready for a break


Last night was pretty rough. Around 11, as I was shutting everything down for a 5 am wake up call to do some online classes, Fury started getting super restless. Whine whine whine. The puppies were pretty vocal too with their grunting. I am obsessed with her having enough milk production so when they get complainy like that I worry. I don't know that Fury's getting a lot of fluids, but her water bowl does go down throughout the day, even if I don't see it.

So, I want to go to bed, but what I have is a complainy mom and complainy babies. I worry they are having stomach problems (Fury isn't nearly as licky as she was at first) so I stimulate some genital areas to get stuff going and Fury follows suit. I don't know if that fixed it. I check baby bellies to see if they are full enough. Yeah . . .

So I sit with Fury, who stops complaining. And her babies stop complaining, and then I go to bed.

I hear Fury tickled her feet on the wood paneling down the hall to check to see if I am available and then she goes back to the box and whines. I get back up. It is now midnight. Repeat.

This happens again at 3 am, only this time I've left my door open for her to come in, and she does - shooting under the bed (where she normally sleeps - she's a denning dog) and she starts scratching at the carpet. It's remarkably like her labor.

I kick her back out, get everyone nestled in, and go to bed. Never mind the classes, Kristin needs her sleep.

6 am, it happens again. The puppies still all look fine, but Fury is really not happy. I open the front door and she goes under the deck and sits there, then runs in and goes under the bed. At this point, I think she just wants a break. Poor thing. I check her nipples, all is in order. She looks fit. Back to bed.

So this morning I get up and she is happy to see me, leave the puppies, comes and sits on the bed for a moment, checks me out in the bathroom while I'm brushing my teeth and then goes back to the box but just stands there.

As I am writing this, she just came in again and scooted under the bed. Maybe she's ready for a daily walk now. The puppies are doing well and sleeping happily without her on the heating pad, so I guess she just needs a break. And is ready for some Kristin loving. Or maybe she just misses Yishai. :)





2 comments:

  1. She didn't need to potty I take it? Remember she is eating all the pups poop, so if she isn't taking in a lot of kibble, that might be why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dunno if it has any parallels, but we just raised a litter that whelped in October. We went thru the restlessness,etc then discovered her calcium level was borderline low. Put her on extra cottage cheese and tums and it resolved. It was her 3rd litter and the first time she had been so unsettled acting. My girl's related to Fury too- a Spike granddaughter out of Skip's sister, Georgia. Thanks for the blog, it's been fun...
    ~deb

    ReplyDelete